Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

T-One

EVO Briko T-One Grips

by Andy Johnston
These were among the top ten cool things I spotted at Interbike 2011.

I have been looking for a "winged" style grip, but the popular ones are so heavy and I want something light.  These feel very similar to the silicone grips I use made by ESI.  With my 3 degree bend bars on long rides I develop pressure points after 3 or more hours of off-road pounding.

These are lock on grips, but still remain quite light.  I did not weigh them, but just by feel I was satisfied they were light enough.

A very cool bonus is the Lego-like interlocking part of the design to allow the grip to be bolt-on on each end.  Ingenious!  Just add or remove sections to customize the length of your grip.  I have twist shifters so need a shorter grip so removed two on each grip.


Set up is easy, and the position I first put the grips in worked well for me. I am able to put more pressure on the heel of my hand and take it off the palm where I usually develop pain.  They feel great in my hands while riding, and even when standing do not feel odd.  These are just big enough to

 do what I need them to do, nothing more.                   .

I was able to rotate the bolt portion of the grip to the least handled area of the grip.

Grips also come in other styles without the wings. This model comes in black or white.

These are available through any bike shop that purchases from the distributor HawleyUSA.
They are sold under the name Evo Bricko II (adjustable length) with or without bar end attachment.



These barend style grips are on the bike now and being tested.  They have the same comfy grip that the white one has, and a built in barend.  The barend swivels to any angle independent of the grip so can be adjusted to your taste.

The barend is comfy and fits the hand nicely with a smooth shape that allows for easy and sure grip, even on rough singletrack.

After a few weeks:

Although the barend grip is not interchangeable with the non-barend grips they both have the exact same grip design.  The barend cleverly integrates with the grip through what would look like a bar plug. The bar plug interlocks with the grip and the barend rotates around both.  When you tighten the barend it locks everything solidly in place.

The transition from grip to barend feels seamless and smooth, and my hand felt natural resting partly on the barend while holding the grip.

The barend has a natural inward curve that my hands did appreciate and the shape offered a few different ways to grasp the bar - depending on how I wanted to hold them.

As with the Briko II grip above the barend model was very comfortable and made long rides much easier on my hands.  I liked the barend model for the different hand positions since I like to get on the barend for climbing, especially while standing.



1 comment:

  1. Please note that your cruiser will not be apt to rust unless exposed to moisture for long periods of time.


    Schwinn

    ReplyDelete